- If you are thinking or relocating, the city of New Haven would definitely be an excellent choice! But it is not choosing the destination that is the hard part. Getting there is. That is why we at East Coast West Coast Express are at your service. Whether you are moving home with your family, or expanding your business, we are the right choice for you. We will make sure to transport your household goods, office items, and your vehicle efficiently and cost-effectively, with no hidden expenses. But before you contact us, you might want to find out more about moving to New Haven, Connecticut.
Moving from or to New Haven with East Coast-West Coast Express
About New Haven, Connecticut
- The city of New Haven is located on New Haven Harbor, on Long Island Sound in Connecticut, and belongs to the New York metro area. The city has a rich history. It was founded in 1638 by English Puritans, and only one year later its Nine Square Plan for the street grid system was developed. New Haven was the capital of Connecticut from 1701 until 1873, when the city of Hartford took over. The city has since carried the title of the Cultural Capital of Connecticut. Once you see its established theaters, museums, and music events, you will understand why.
- New Haven is home to Yale University. Since the university is New Haven’s largest employer and taxpayer, it is crucial to the city’s economy. Other fields of industry that contribute to the city’s prosperity include health care, biotechnology, legal services architecture, marketing, engineering, financial services, and retail trade. So if you have a student in your family relocating with you, have no worries as this city has so many educational institutions to choose from, such as: Southern Connecticut State University, Albertus Magnus College (www.albertus.edu/), Berkeley Divinity School - Yale University and many more.
The Weather in New Haven, Connecticut
- New Haven's climate is somewhere between a humid continental climate and humid subtropical climate. Summers are hot and humid, with average temperatures exceeding 80 °F on about 70 days. In summer, a southern flow of warm and humid air is created by the Bermuda High, with frequent thundershowers. Fall and spring are usually mild. Winters are relatively cold, with both rain and snow as regular occurrences.
The Neighborhoods of New Haven, Connecticut
- Before you move here, you should choose the right area of the city for yourself. Whether you are moving with your family and children, or are just doing a corporate relocation, there are so many New Haven neighborhoods to choose from. If you are moving your company, the most suitable areas for you are Downtown, the Central Business District, the Green, the Historic Nine Squares, and Ninth Square.
- If you are moving home, some of the best residential areas include East Rock, Little Italy, Dixwell, Fair Haven, The Hill, and several others.
The Economy of New Haven, Connecticut
- New Haven's industry was once based on manufacturing. Today, services make more than a half of the city’s economy. The growth of Yale University further affected the economic shift and is today the biggest employer along with the Yale – New Haven Hospital. Other large employers include Southern Connecticut State University, Assa Abloy Manufacturing, the Knights of Columbus headquarters, Higher One, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Covidien, and United Illuminating
Things to do in New Haven, Connecticut
- If you are a pizza lover (who isn’t?), you should know that the best one you'll ever have is right here in New Haven. It has been claimed to be among the best in the country, if not in the world. The citizens of New Haven enjoy eating in restaurants, listening to music and going to theaters. Some of the most famous events held in New Haven include:
- - the Jazz Festival,
- - annual International Festival of Arts and Ideas,
- - Saint Patrick's Day parade,
- - The St. Andrew the Apostle Italian Festival,
- - Powder House Day,
Getting Around New Haven, Connecticut
- Due to New Haven's small area and the presence of Yale University, it is estimated that around 15% of New Haven residents are pedestrian commuters. New Haven is connected to New York City and other major cities in the country by commuter rail, regional rail and inter-city rail, as well as bus lines.
- If you have made up your mind we are here to help you! We are a team of moving experts with one goal in mind – to help you begin a new chapter in your life problem-free. We understand that each relocation process is different, and that is why we have made our moving services customizable. If you chose us as your moving helpers, you will be able to choose from a wide array of services we provide, including:
- - Interstate residential moving
- - Interstate corporate moving
- - Open and enclosed car shipping services
- - Climate-controlled free storage units
- - Moving supplies
- - Professional packing services
- - Loading and unloading services